Wednesday, February 4, 2009

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate. . .

What to do, what to do?

I have really been up and down the vaccination debate, and I just can't make a decision about what to do for dear baby boy #3.

With my first baby, I vaccinated, but delayed everything by about 6 months. I also opted to forgo the chicken pox vaccine (it just seems ridiculous - more later), but my baby was given it without my consent by a "well intending" doctor.

With #2, I did the same thing, but this time he really didn't get the Chicken Pox vaccine, and now these two are finished with their vaccinations until boosters in a couple of years, insha'Allah.
But, now we come to the question of baby A and what to do this time around. See, my research has evolved about vaccines. I always was on the fence about them and have never been really 100% convinced of their usefulness. There are all kinds of reports about the declining incidence of diseases regardless of vaccination rates of the populations; many times it is simply advances in general hygiene that have lead to the declining rates of disease. Polio is a great example, as is whooping cough, the latter of which declined similarly in the UK as in the US in the same years, when the UK was not yet vaccinating! So. . . at least there is some doubt in my mind.

However, do I go all the way to the other extreme and believe that all vaccines are harmful and that it is a huge corporate conspiracy to dumb us down and make money at the same time??? Not really. I guess I stand somewhere in the middle. . .
scratching my head wondering what in the world to do about it!
Ya Allah...

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that my husband is in the medical field (and, therefore, thoroughly convinced of the usefulness and necessity of childhood vaccination) AND the fact that we do travel to third-world countries where the incidence of SCARY childhood diseases is much higher than in the US and the sanitation poorer (more on this later), I probably wouldn't vaccinate for anything at all!

While I know that many medical advances are nothing short of a great blessing from our Lord, I believe that medicine has gone too far in many areas - Obstetrics has taken over Midwifery, for example, when it should have remained reserved for those few special cases where it was the only way to save a mother and baby. And, in the area of vaccination, I do believe we have gone too far as well. Chicken Pox is a great example of my belief - why in the world are we now vaccinating for this disease? I remember when everyone understood that the best immunity to this disease, and the only immunity to last a lifetime, came from catching it and suffering through. Complications from Chicken Pox are rare; it is not something we are hoping to eradicate; and so instead of the fast burning (and possibly immune strengthening) disease of chicken pox, we are getting all of the risks associated with vaccines, PLUS, we are now ending up with adolescents (who are less likely to be up on their booster shots) getting more serious cases of the disease when their immunity wears off, and, worse yet, getting cases of shingles, a much more serious disease.

And so it is with other diseases that we commonly vaccinate for - like MMR. Measles, Mumps, and Rubella, are all diseases that rarely develop serious complications, yet the risks from the vaccinations are great. Not to mention the doubt of the efficacy of the vaccine itself.

So . . . what to do?
Foremost and ultimately, I depend on Allah, the most high. I know that whatever befalls my children, be it diseases I haven't vaccinated for, or complications from the vaccines themselves, has been decreed by Allah. May He protect us and all of the world's children - Ameen.
But, for now, a decision has to be made.
I could probably forgo most vaccinations - possibly even convince my hubby as well - but which ones do I deem necessary? We are planning to travel this summer, and I don't want to expose baby A to something that he wouldn't normally be exposed to here, or in a place with better sanitation. But, I also want to avoid as many vaccines as possible.

Please comment, sisters. Let me know what you all have done with your own children. . . what have you discovered amid all of the conflicting information out there?

6 comments:

  1. Assalamu alaykum,

    You can space out the vaccinations. My son filed a paper with Kaiser that he did not want all of the vaccinations, which of course the doctor doesn't like and will try to talk you into getting the rest of the injections. So if his daughter, who is only 13 months old now, can't get in school then she will have to take the rest at that time.

    The problem with vaccines is that they have so many in such a short time. Tell me why does a newborn have to start with Hepatitis B shots, which one only gets through blood or sexual contact.

    I mentioned to the Pediatrician that all of these vaccines could actually weaken the immune system and she told me that I could be right. I feel that our immune system just like the other parts of our body has to be strong and I think that sickness helps boost it. Just like if one doesn't use their muscles they become weak.

    Aside from children, my daughter-in-law was forced to have the first of three injections of the HPV series to apply for a green card.
    She didn't want it and doesn't plan on taking the other two. Her doctor was surprised that immigration now requires it. She couldn't understand their thinking because it only protects you from certain cancers of the cervix -- not all of the cancers you can get there.

    The highest paid CEO's are the ones ahead of the Pharmaceutical companies. Hmmmmm, it makes one think!

    Was-salamu alaykum,

    Umm Yousif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I've just "gone with the program" when it comes to vaccines. My major concern is with the newer vaccine - it's an oral vaccine given for Rota Virus. I do have first hand experience dealing with Rota Virus - both girls had it at the same time - Halimah was only 3 weeks old and was hospitalized - Aaliyah was 15 months old and went to the ER twice... they also had a few re-occurrences as well. Doctors and researchers say that 100% of all children under 5 will get Rota Virus... so they went to work and came out with a vaccine (they did have one initially for awhile but it was pulled and now there's a new one).

    Ilyas was given the oral Rota Virus vaccine - and initially I thought it was a great idea because I know how horrible Rota Virus can get, especially in infants/toddlers. However, after they gave him the vaccine I was pretty worried for a few days. Immediately following the dose he seemed to get SUPER red - and he was having a bit of trouble breathing. Even the nurse thought it was a bit odd but didn't call the doctor - just waited to see if he'd "come around" - which he did... it wasn't as though he stopped breathing or anything - but I've never experienced anything like it before!

    I haven't done any research, as I've said I've always kind of gone along when it came to vaccines - especially ones that have been used/tested for years and considered relatively safe...

    I, too, ultimately put my trust in Allah and know that no matter what - it is Allah Who decides - so whether I vaccinate or not - it will not change the outcome for what Allah has already destined... I know you know what I mean!

    I'd recommend doing what feels most comfortable for you... discuss it with your husband (despite his "pro" feelings towards vaccines) and together make mashura... whatever decision the two of you make at that point will be the right one - even if it's the "wrong" one - because you made mashura. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalaamu Alaykum
    Thanks so much for your comments, sisters.
    Please also see the information on these two links (graciously provided by Umm Yousif).
    http://www.missionislam.com/health/immunizationhurtornot.htm
    www.thinktwice.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Assalamu alaikum~

    With my oldest, I also fully vaccinated, not knowing any better.
    With my 2nd, I started to become more aware of the rise of bad reactions to vaccines, and also autism. Many doctors and experts have said that some cases of autism are a result of bad reactions to vaccines, such as Jenny McCarthy's son. There is still much debate, but at around 14 months I didn't get my second son vaccinated anymore.
    My 3rd son has never been vaccinated. His pediatrician tried to make it an issue when he had to have his hernia repaired, trying to scare me into thinking he would not be allowed to have it repaired unless he was vaccinated, and stressed the importance of the tetanus vaccine in particular. However, when I researched it, tetanus is not even give to children under 2 years! (Abdul was 8 months at the time...) and although I was worried about the doctors claims that he would not be operated on unless he was up-to-date on his vaccines, this was not true, and I was asked once at the hopsital if he was vaccined, and when I told them he wasn't, it wasn't an issue, the nurse just made a note of it on his chart.
    One of my best friends has a little girl who is autistic, and another who's daughter is on the light end of the spectrum. I hear firsthand how difficult their lives can be... and how hard it is to parent a child with this challenge. It is a huge physical and emotional toll. Of course, qadar Allah wa maa shaa, fa'al, we know they were destined to have htis condition before they were born, but its still a trial they have to live with, subhanallah walhamdulillah.
    (I could go on and on about the pros and cons, but there is already a group on cafeMom for that, lol, so I'll just confine this post to my kids.)
    So, bottom line is I honestly don't feel they are necessary for kids living in the US who aren't exposed to many different types of people. I also agree that they are over-vaccinating for things that kids should probably build an immunity to, as you and a PP mentioned.
    I have a couple articles on vaccinations from an Islamic perspective, written by a female Muslima doctor, that I will forward you tonight inshaallah, which I hope will be a benefit to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalaum Alikum
    Intresting topic. This American Life did a story recently about this matter on National public radio. Here is the link
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?episode=370
    Personally, I think we (Americans) are too much of a melting pot and even though our households may be rid of these diseases, sooner or later our kids will be sitting next to someone who isn't as fortunate. It is our job to protect them.
    Jazakallah Khair

    ReplyDelete
  6. Assalamu Alaikum the site Missionislam in their health section they have dealt with this subject comprehensively Insha'Allah kheer:

    http://www.missionislam.com/health/index.htm

    Immunisation Information covered

    Immunisation & Islam
    Immunizations - Harmful to your Child or Not? (by Dr. Aisha Hamdan)
    Immunisation:The Reality behind the Myth
    Ten Reasons Parents Question Vaccination
    Vaccinations: The Facts
    Infant Vaccinations - A biological Assault
    Australian Vaccination Network
    Vaccinations: What Your Don't Know Could Hurt Your Child
    Are New Vaccines Laced with Birth Control Drugs?
    Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education (PROVE)
    National Vaccine Information Centre
    Secret Immunization Data
    Alternative, Holistic & General Health Links - Immunization Reactions

    wa alaikum salam

    sister the site Missionislam in the health section they have dealt with this subject comprehensively Insha'Allah kheer:

    http://www.missionislam.com/health/index.htm

    Immunisation Information

    Immunisation & Islam
    Immunizations - Harmful to your Child or Not? (by Dr. Aisha Hamdan)
    Immunisation:The Reality behind the Myth
    Ten Reasons Parents Question Vaccination
    Vaccinations: The Facts
    Infant Vaccinations - A biological Assault
    Australian Vaccination Network
    Vaccinations: What Your Don't Know Could Hurt Your Child
    Are New Vaccines Laced with Birth Control Drugs?
    Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education (PROVE)
    National Vaccine Information Centre
    Secret Immunization Data
    Alternative, Holistic & General Health Links - Immunization Reactions

    Wa Alaikum Salam
    Sister M

    ReplyDelete